Future Proofing for Generations to come
Nelson’s iconic Boathouse is seeking public help with the rebuild, after Cyclone Fehi sent unprecedented tidal surges through the 1906 building.
The initial cleanup and work is underway and with the help of good insurance and fundraising The Boathouse is going to be back and better than ever within months.While insurance will cover most of the repairs, we are asking for donations from the community so we can invest in modern technology to future-proof the building for generations to come.
We’re really heartened at the support that has been shown to The Boathouse so far. Over the years the old girl has supported many a fundraiser and it is just wonderful to see the warmth and support that’s coming forward now that it’s her turn to need some help.
- Donate directly to the Boathouse Society bank account. This money can be used for other expenses besides the building, such as for staff who are managing the rebuild project for us. The bank account number is: 03 1355 0604377 00
- You can give directly to the Boathouse Trust. This can be used by the Trust for the building extras, such as the upgrade of the pilings, joists, kitchen, etc. The Boathouse Trust will generate a tax deductible receipt. The bank account number is: 03 1369 0287456 00.
- You can pay via Give-a-little (this means 5% goes to the Spark Foundation). Donations are eligible for a tax credit.
For more information email us at [email protected]
Thank you for your continued support. Up to date information on exciting fundraising events can be found on our Facebook page.
About The Boathouse
Situated over the sea on the picturesque Nelson Haven, The Boathouse is a whole lot more than an historic building
Full of history and a big part of the local community the venue also opens it’s doors as a cafe, music venue, club, community hall and function venue
The Boathouse opens Wednesday through to Friday for relaxed brunch and lunch dining with a stunning backdrop of the Nelson Haven, Haulashore Island, The Boulder Bank and mountain ranges. Friday evenings are all about music with the cafe re-opening at 5pm for dinner, drinks and dancing with live music. During weekends and evenings the venue is occupied by functions, events and community groups. On a Sunday the building takes a rest from being a business and members have run of the building with families often seen lunching on the deck, throwing celebrations in the hall or out in the small craft.
Built in 1906 by the Nelson Rowing Club, the hall was used extensively by rowers and later by the Iron Duke Sea Scouts who purchased the building in the 1920s. After the Second World War, it became a popular Saturday night dance hall and saw the flourishing of many a local romance. By the 1970s dances were out of fashion and the scouts moved to solid ground in the port as the building was liable to be washed out to sea in the next storm! ‘A few good blokes in the pub’ decided that demolition was not an option and rallied twenty five residents to purchase the building. Together they formed The Iron Duke Boat Club Society, later changing the name to The Boathouse Society. Memberships were offered and a sympathetic restoration started in 1992. Where possible original features were retained or reused and the old timber recycled.
The Boathouse now counts over 240 members; with many an original member among that number.
The objectives of The Boathouse Society are to:
• Provide recreational and social facilities for members
• Restore The Boathouse
• Involve children in activities
• Provide for the storage of small craft
• Provide a centre for theatre, music, dance and arts
• Encourage recreational use of Nelson Harbour
• Promote the conservation of the harbour
The Boathouse holds a special place in the heart of many a Nelsonian
We welcome you all to stop in and enjoy the view
OPEN FOR dining and drinks 10.30am – 2pm Wednesday-Friday and then again from 5pm-late Friday Evening (live music from 8pm)
EVERY FRIDAY We host a large variety of talented musicians every Friday night, from around the globe!
BOOK YOUR NEXT FUNCTION HERE The Boathouse is available for functions and events